Saturday, September 10, 2011

Threatened Miscarriage

If you've read my previous post, you'll know that I had a subchorionic hemorrhage very early on in my pregnancy. I was advised to stay on bed rest, although I didn't very strictly adhere to it because I was still attending school. I realized soon enough that I should have heeded my doctor's instructions.



Warning: The following text may be TMI (too much information). If you're eating while reading this (or if you just have a weak stomach), you can stop reading now. It's okay. I won't be offended, I promise. =p


When I was about 13-14 weeks along my pregnancy, I experienced vaginal spotting. It wasn't very heavy, and its color was dark brown. It wasn't odorless - it had a mild scent - but it wasn't foul-smelling either. On my next visit to the doctor (of which I had so many because she was monitoring the progress of my subchorionic hemorrhage), I told her about this vaginal spotting.

The doctor sent me home, but told me (more like demanded me) to strictly follow that "complete bed rest, no toilet privileges" order, and to monitor the spotting. If the spotting worsened or if I felt cramps, I was to go to the hospital immediately to be admitted.

Well, despite my best efforts to stay on complete bed rest, the spotting became worse. And so, I went to the hospital to be admitted. I had to undergo that transvaginal ultrasound again to see what was wrong. Good thing I was more prepared this time, but the bad news was that my cervix was found to be slightly open or dilated.

It turned out that I was having a threatened miscarriage. It hit me like a rock. There was a real chance now that I could lose the baby.

Threatened miscarriage happens pretty randomly, and its cause is not really clear. However, if the fetus has a genetic abnormality or if the mother has infections in her body, there's a big chance that she might have a miscarriage.

My baby and I were closely monitored by the medical team. Residents and interns visited more than twice a day with a Doppler monitor in hand. I was so nervous every time they came in, but also relieved after hearing those reassuring heart sounds. It meant that my baby was alive and kicking (well, not literally - yet.) Those swishing sounds from the Doppler machine became a sort of silver lining for me. It got me through the whole time I was confined in the hospital.

Days later, the spotting became less and less until it was totally gone. I was discharged with instructions to continue staying on complete bed rest. This time around, I had more of a reason to do as the doctor told me to do. This time around, I knew what was at stake. It was very difficult and frustrating at times, being stuck to the bed, confined in my own room, but remembering those Doppler heart sounds helped me get through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment