Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Are You Pregnant?

How did you know you were pregnant? What symptoms did you first experience that led you to think that you might be carrying a child? Did you accept it right away or did it take some time to sink in?

As for me, when my menstruation did not come when it was expected, I didn't suspect pregnancy right away. At that time, I was also slowly gaining weight from eating too much fastfoods and leading an almost sedentary lifestyle. I was also under a lot of stress, studying day in and day out for Medicine. At first, I just thought that my hormoned simply could have been jammed and I might have been delayed or simply skipped a cycle.

But when two months passed without a single drop of menstruation, I bought myself a pregancy test. I knew I had unprotected contact a couple of months ago, but I was too confident then that my periods would always be predictable. I had used the calendar method for quite a long time already, and it hadn't failed me - yet.

Home pregnancy tests are extremely simple to use, and they come with easily understandable instructions. One disadvantage is that it could get messy - your hands could get in contact with your urine - but nothing that a simple handwashing can't clean. Some kits only require you to hold the stick in such a way that its tip comes in contact with your urine while you are peeing, while some may come with a dropper that you use to pour urine into the designated spot on the stick. After putting 2-3 drops of urine onto the kit, you simply wait for a specified period of time. The results will depend on the hCG levels in your blood. HCG is the hormone produced by the developing placenta early in pregnancy. Some tests may show a positive result as a plus sign (+), while some show it as a double line (=).

To my big surprise, my pregnancy test revealed a big fat positive. I was in denial at first, and I even went out to buy another brand, hoping against hope that the first test had been unreliable or incorrectly done. But again, there it was, two lines staring at me right in the face.

My hands were shaking as I showed my boyfriend the results. We were both in complete shock. It took us a couple of days to decide what to do. I was STILL in denial, and I went out to get an actual blood test done. I remember vividly the technician who congratulated me with a big smile on his face. I'm not sure if he was being sarcastic or not, but boy, did I want to slap him right then and there. And then my boyfriend and I went to an obstetrician-gynecologist to have a final diagnosis. Alas, she too, congratulated the both of us as if we just won the lottery. I really hated that doctor for being so insensitive. Didn't she realize that I wasn't ready for this?

I thought about it a million times, and then finally decided to do the right thing. I would tell my parents about my pregnancy, and I would take responsibility for my actions. And so I did, and my boyfriend accompanied me in facing the music. To my surprise, my parents weren't as hard on us as I expected. They simply asked us what our plans for the future were. We said we would get married civilly and whatever my boyfriend saved up from his work, we would spend on the baby. They were okay with that, and they were very supportive of us the whole way.

Nine months later, I delivered a healthy, bouncing baby girl - my little princess. In no way could I have anticipated that I would feel exactly how my first doctor wanted me to feel when we first met - like I won the lottery. And boy, did I feel like a million bucks!

4 comments:

  1. hi sis! this is aepreal from babycenterph :)
    i've read your entry about this, un pala ung early sign mo na preggy ka, ung missed period? have you encountered bleeding? ung implantation bleeding na sinasabi ng lahat? Un kasi ung sa akin, a week before my period was due, nagkaroon ako..samantalang nung buwan na un ung LMP ko talaga which is Aug.1, then Aug.25 ako nagka bleeding. I'm suspecting it na implantation bleeding kasi nakwento ko sa hipag ng bf ko and sa mga batchmates ko and un din nga daw ung naexperience nila...tinakot pa nila ako.

    Nung una ba di makapaniwala si bf mo na buntis ka? Takot ba ung umiral sa kanya nong binigay mo ung preg test sa kanya? or masaya pa sya nung nakita nya un? I was just asking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sis!

    Yes, that was actually the very first symptom I noticed, although at that time, I chalked it up to just being delayed due to stress.

    I haven't experienced implantation bleeding, but what I know about it is that it's unlike your normal periods. It's more of spotting, instead of bleeding per se. And yes, it does occur earlier than your expected period. As far as I know, implantation bleeding is nothing to worry about - it's just that the landing of the embryo on the surface of your uterus incidentally caused some blood vessels to break. But normally, the blood vessels can close on their own.

    Yes, my boyfriend was shocked by the results, too. We were both still financially dependent on our families - me being a student of Medicine, and him just passing his licensure exams.

    Thanks for visiting my blog sis! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, mali ung term ko, it should be spotting..pero kasi nung 1st day, di sya ganun kalakas, then 2nd day malakas sya ng umaga until humina ng hapon until nung 3rd day, spotting nalang talaga matatawag, light pink na sya until nawala na. Dun sa mga pinagtanungan ko naman malakas din daw ung kanila, akala nga nila period but ayun buntis na pala sila.

    Wow, good for you sis...ako kasi hahaha if ever, malamang magagalit ang family ko sakin. Pero if will naman ni Lord na bigyan ako ng baby, I'll accept it whole-heartedly. :) Blessings ang baby eh.

    So, musta naman ung baby mo ngayon? Nanganak ka na ba or still waiting?

    You're welcome sis! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've also read that many women mistake implantation spotting for an early period.

    Well, a lot of people say it's expected for your parents to get angry when they first hear the news. But as time goes by, they'll be as excited as you are for the new baby, even more. Haha!

    Yes, I already gave birth last year. She turned 1 last August. That's my baby in my avatar. =)

    ReplyDelete