Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fibroadenomas

What are Fibroadenomas?


Fibroadenomas are masses or tumors of the breast tissue. They are moveable, painless, and usually have very well-defined borders. They can be detected by doing breast self-examinations, ultrasounds, or as in my case, incidentally by annual school or work health examinations. Now, all these might sound scary, but fibroadenomas are actually benign or non-cancerous growths.


Can I Breastfeed Even if I Have Fibroadenomas?


Yes, absolutely. Fibroadenomas do not interfere with your milk supply. Even if you've had surgery previously to remove a breast mass, your milk-producing glands and ducts are still intact. The milk you produce is just like any other momma's milk - fresh, healthy, and best for babies until 2 years old =D

However, fibroadenomas have a tendency to increase in size during pregnancy and lactation, so don't be surprised if you notice your mass becoming slightly bigger. In most cases, they don't cause any pain, but if they grow really large, pressure from holding your baby might cause you minor discomfort. If this is so, you can try switching breastfeeding positions.

Can I Undergo Surgery While I'm Still Breastfeeding?


Now, this one I'm not entirely sure about.

One doctor I've consulted suggested that I wait until I completely stop breastfeeding because milk would tend to leak to the site of the incision. Milk, as you might know, is perfect food not only for infants, but for bacteria as well. So, undergoing surgery while breastfeeding would put me at a higher risk of getting an infection post-op.

One more reason is that the breast would be engorged from the milk that's accumulated. Engorgement is already painful on its own, how much more with an incision? Hmm. I could pump the milk out, but I'm not sure how that would work out. I'm guessing pumping would still be painful, plus it would definitely cause a drop in my milk supply.

Even until now, I'm still weighing the pros and cons of having the mass excised. I'm considering surgery maybe within the next month, because my mass is getting bigger and bigger. Last time I had it checked, it was at 4cm diameter. It's already causing me some minor discomfort, especially when I'm carrying my baby against my chest.

Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment